President Uhuru Kenyatta has appointed communications expert David Osiany as Chief Administrative Secretary in the Ministry of Industrialization, Trade and Enterprise Development.
Osiany, who hails from Rongo constituency is a former sports news anchor at Royal Media Services-owned Hot 96. While at the station he founded a show dubbed The Hot Seat, which was an accountability platform dissecting national issues with Kenya’s political leaders. He is also famous for proposing to his wife on live radio during his time at the RMS.
Osiany has worked as a Governance Associate at Oxfam and at the defunct Office of the Prime Minister as a Youth Affairs advisor. Until recently, the former SONU president was the Chief Communications Advisor to the acting Ministry of Health Director-General Health Patrick Amoth and helped the ministry in strategic communications during the Covid-19 pandemic.
He holds a communication degree from the University of Nairobi and a Masters degree in public policy from the University of Bristol, England courtesy of the prestigious Chevening Scholarship program.
According to a circular issued by Head of Public Services Joseph Kinyua on Wednesday 17th February, the changes necessitated by the need to set the foundation for building back better from the shocks of covid19 pandemic are meant to foster operational efficiency, institutionalize and expedite the implementation of various ground-breaking reforms, and introduce functional changes that shall make Ministries and State Departments more effective and better able to deliver on their mandates.
The changes saw the merger of the State Department for Mining with the State Department for Petroleum into a single State Department within the Ministry of Petroleum & Mining. Below is the full list of newly appointed Chief Administrative Secretaries and their respective dockets:
- Eric Simiyu Wafukho – The National Treasury & Planning
- Jackson Musyoka Kalla – Ministry of Labour & Social Protection
- Lawrence Angolo Omuhaka – Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries & Cooperatives
- Japheth Ntiba Micheni – The State Law Office & Department of Justice
- David Osiany – Ministry of Industrialization, Trade & Enterprise Development
- Dr. Sara Ruto – Ministry of Education
- Zachary Ayieko – Ministry of Energy
- Alex Mburi Mwiru – Ministry of Lands & Physical Planning