Nyanza Province was one of Kenya’s eight administrative provinces before the formation of the 47 counties under the 2010 constitution. The region is located on the south-western part of Kenya, bordering Uganda with Kisumu which is the third largest city in the Republic of Kenya.
With the new constitution, Nyanza was replaced with 6 counties in total, namely; Siaya, Kisumu, Homa Bay, Migori, Kisii and Nyamira.and is inhabited predominantly by the Luo people although there are also Bantu-speaking tribes, such as the Gusii, the Kuria, and some Luhya living there.
The province whose climate is humid had a population of 4,392,196 at the 1999 census within an area of 16.162 km², or 12.613 km² of land. It derives its name from the bantu word Nyanza which refers large mass of water. The world’s second largest fresh water lake known as Lake Victoria is found in Nyanza.
Nyanza is home to the following personalities;
- Tom Mboya politician and former minister
- Barack Obama Senior was born in Nyanza Province. Economist with the government, he was educated in the United States, in Hawaii and Massachusetts. He was t
he father of the 44th President of the United States (2009-2017), who was born in Hawaii.
- Jaramogi Oginga Odinga independence fighter and socialist politician
- Raila Odinga son of Jaramogi Oginga Odinga, he is a politician and the leader of Opposition in Kenya.
- Bethwel Ogot, historian
- Achieng Oneko, independence fighter and socialist politician
- Robert Ouko politician and former minister
- Simeon Nyachae, Politician and former Minister
- James Orengo, Politician & Current Senator
- James Ongwae Governor of Kisii County
- Lupita Nyongo, US based Actress
- Professor Anyang Nyongo, Politician and Governor