The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) boss has responded to deputy president William Ruto over his vote rigging claim.
While addressing the press on Thursday at Bomas, Chebukati dismissed sentiments by Ruto as he assured Kenyans that no name had been expunged from their register as claimed by the deputy president.
According to the IEBC chairman, the 1 million voters that the Kenya Kwanza presidential flag bearer claimed belong to those who requested to be transferred from one center to the other one.
“Those spreading rumors that the data register has been lost be informed that it is intact. There is no breach or form of interference on the systems that we use to maintain the register. We shall account for each and every Kenyan who registered to vote.” He said.
The IEBC chair further explained that the missing names could have occurred because some polling stations were de-gazetted by the Kenyan government. Consequently, he guaranteed the nation that the commission will ensure that the final register is not only gazetted by June 9th but also certified.
At the same time, he made it clear that the voter register will be made available seven days to the general election to allow all the electorates in the country to verify their voting details.
With regards to the numbers, Chebukati stated that the IEBC has registered a total of 22.5 million voters and the register is being audited by KPMG. “The Commission assures Kenyans that the data is intact and the ongoing process is just to ensure the register is clean in readiness for the elections,” he said.